Connect with us

GECs

Karans back with hot Koffee

Published

on

MUMBAI: Those who missed their weekly fix of caffeine for the past two years, fret not! A certain brand of ‘Koffee’, served hot with dollops of sugar, spice and all things Bollywood, is about to return to a television screen near you.

 

Starting 1 December, a brand new season of Koffee with Karan will air on Star World India every Sunday at 9.00pm.

Advertisement

 

Hosted by filmmaker Karan Johar (KJo), the chat show, made popular by a slew of Bollywood celebrities, not to mention all the inside gossip and drama apart from standard KJo-isms, debuted on the channel back in 2004, with the third season ending in 2011.

 

Advertisement

Season 4 promises to be bigger, better and juicier, what with a tagline that reads: ‘Behind the Scenes, Beneath the Sheets’. While the makers have retained the basic format along with popular elements like ‘Rapid Fire’ and ‘Koffee Hamper’, the guest list includes the likes of Salman ‘Dabangg’ Khan, who will appear in the first episode for the first time ever.

 

Other invitees include Kareena Kapoor Khan and Ranbir Kapoor, Juhi Chawla and Madhuri Dixit, Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra, the three leads of Student of the Year (Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan and Siddharth Malhotra) and Zaheer Khan and Arjun Kapoor.

Advertisement

 

Johar sums it up when he says: “The new season is going to be the most exciting yet, with a host of new guests, a fantastic set and some great conversations.”

 

Advertisement

Asked for details, Star India, English Channels, vice president marketing Pallavi Tibrewal simply says: “The basic format of the show is the same, but we are not divulging too much. I urge you guys to come and see the first episode, and I am sure it will leave you breathless. I am confident, with the kind of concept; the show will shape up quite well.”

 

Exults Star India English Channels general manager Kevin Vaz: “Koffee with Karan is the only show where Bollywood’s biggest celebrities are willing to give viewers an insight into their lives. As he returns with his fourth season to Star World, Karan has taken it up a notch higher and he will be seen talking to several new faces on the show. Karan is an extremely engaging host and his show has proven to be one of the most entertaining ones on television till date.”

Advertisement

 

But why didn’t the show return earlier? “It went through a lot of consultation with Karan Johar. Plus, Bollywood has also changed so we thought this is the right time to have juicy and full of entertainment content available for the episodes,” says Tibrewal.

 

Advertisement

About the saucy new tagline she says: “As you know, it’s a Bollywood thing; celebrities will share their own views about what they think about behind the scenes. So that is what it came from and it has always been a nice, chatty and exciting show. Thus, we wanted to keep the tagline also interesting and related to the concept.”
His show has proven to be one of the most entertaining ones on television till date, says Kevin Vaz

 

Season 4 will air for nearly four to five months and three to four episodes have already been canned. With Star World India aired on both Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) mediums, there are separate sponsors on board.

Advertisement

 

On SD, Idea is the show’s presenting sponsors and it is powered by Sensodyne whereas on SD, Forest Essentials is the presenting sponsor and the show is powered by both Sensodyne and Idea.

 

Advertisement

Coming to marketing of the show, most of you may already have seen Johar’s moves in the special Broadway-style promo that went on air earlier this month. The promo was made public on YouTube as well and got over 1.9 lakh views in less than a week. It will be telecast on all English channels and the entire Star Network.

 

Elaborates Tibrewal: “It’s a very exciting promo we shot with Karan. For the first time, he danced and that has got us very good interest levels; it has really built up the show because Karan has never danced like this. It is very true to the kind of promo. And that is what we have really focused on and that has built up the show really very well.”

Advertisement

 

She goes on to add: “We have quite an exciting marketing plan, but as you know Koffee with Karan does not need much awareness, people already know about it, they are just waiting for the show.”

 

Advertisement

On the digital front, Star World India is churning out web exclusives, images and lots of innovations on Twitter. While there is no official page for the show, the channel is promoting it on its official page on Facebook. “Our Facebook pages have a lot of koffee information. Koffee with Karan does not need any introduction or building up with the celebrities or anyone. That is the reason we have not launched any official page,” reasons Tibrewal.

 

Interestingly, on Twitter, hashtags such as #KWKRapidFire and #KWKFirstGuest trended nationally on 24 November; #KWKcrossword trended nationally on 25 November; #KWKUnscramble trended in Mumbai on 26 November; #KWKMovieQuote trended in Mumbai on 27 November and #KWKTranslate trended number two in India on 28 November plus #KWKFirstGuest trended again in Mumbai and other cities.

Advertisement

 

 “It is already an established property. Through promotions, we are just building excitement once again among the people and getting it there. We have exciting things coming up on digital exclusively,” Tibrewal signs off.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GECs

Sebi sends show-cause notice to Zee over fund diversion, company responds

Regulator questions 2018 letter of comfort and governance lapses; company vows robust legal response

Published

on

MUMBAI: India’s markets watchdog has reignited its long-running scrutiny of Zee Entertainment Enterprises, issuing a sweeping show-cause notice that drags the broadcaster and 84 others into a widening governance storm.

The notice, dated February 12, has been served by the Securities and Exchange Board of India to Zee, chairman emeritus Subhash Chandra and managing director and chief executive Punit Goenka, among others. At its heart: allegations that company funds were indirectly routed to settle liabilities of entities linked to the Essel Group.

The regulator’s probe traces its roots to November 2019, when two independent directors resigned from Zee’s board, flagging concerns over the alleged appropriation of fixed deposits by Yes Bank. The deposits were reportedly adjusted against loans extended to Essel Group entities, triggering questions about related-party dealings and board oversight.

Advertisement

A key flashpoint is a letter of comfort dated September 4, 2018, issued by Subhash Chandra in his dual capacity as chairman of Zee and the Essel Group. The document, linked to credit facilities availed by certain group companies from Yes Bank, was allegedly known only to select members of management and not disclosed to the full board—an omission SEBI believes raises red flags over transparency and governance controls.

Zee has pushed back hard. In a statement, the company said it “strongly refutes” the allegations against it and its board members and will file a detailed response. It expressed confidence that SEBI would conduct a fair review and signalled readiness to pursue all legal remedies to protect shareholder interests.

The notice marks the latest twist in a saga that has shadowed the broadcaster since 2019. What began as boardroom unease has morphed into a full-blown regulatory confrontation. The final reckoning now rests with SEBI—but the reputational stakes for Zee, and the message for India Inc on governance discipline, could scarcely be higher.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Advertisement News18
Advertisement All three Media
Advertisement Whtasapp
Advertisement Year Enders

Copyright © 2026 Indian Television Dot Com PVT LTD