iWorld
China Telecom seeks foreign strategic partner
MUMBAI: China Telecom is in search of an international strategic partner. The Hong Kong-listed unit of China’s biggest fixed-line operator, through such an alliance, aims to raise its profile in global telecommunications.
China Telecom chairman Wang Xiaochu said the company would eventually seek to bring in foreign strategic investors, to benefit from international management experience. According to Wang, the company hasn’t initiatied any formal talks with potential investor or partner.
In April this year, the state-run parent of China Netcom Group, China Telecom’s biggest domestic rival, bought a 20 per cent stake in PCCW. PCCW Limited is the largest communications provider in Hong Kong and one of Asia’s leading IT&T players.
According to Wang, the company expects broadband, mobile and fixed-line operations to each contribute a third of its revenue by that time. Wang made the comments after the company’s annual general meeting in Hong Kong, the first one it has held in the territory and a rarity among H-share companies.
China Telecom currently doesn’t have any mobile services, but it offers a localized wireless service known as Personal Handyphone System, or Xiaolingtong. Internet services, mainly broadband, contributed 9 per cent of the company’s total revenue in 2004. Local telephone services, including fixed-line, phone booths and Xiaolingtong, took up half of total revenue.
Wang expects broadband subscriber growth this year to exceed last year’s, when new additions reached 6.6 million. At the end of March, China Telecom had 15.7 million broadband customers.
Wang said the company’s Internet Protocol Television service, which began a trial run late last year, has about 40,000 users. The service is now available in Shanghai and several main cities in Guangdong province.
iWorld
Netflix has room to raise its Warner Bros bid: Reuters report
WBD sets 20 March vote but gives Paramount brief window for final bid
CALIFORNIA: Netflix has ample firepower to raise its bid for Warner Bros Discovery if rival suitor Paramount Skydance sweetens its offer, setting the stage for a high-stakes auction over one of Hollywood’s richest catalogues, Reuters reported.
The battle has pitted two media heavyweights against each other for control of franchises ranging from Harry Potter and Game of Thrones to DC Comics and Superman. While Warner Bros is pressing ahead with a 20 March shareholder vote on its deal with Netflix, the board has granted Paramount a narrow window to submit what it calls a “best and final” proposal.
Netflix has agreed to pay $27.75 a share, valuing Warner’s studio and streaming operations at about $82.7 billion. Paramount, by contrast, has offered $30 a share, or $108.4 billion, for the entire company, including Discovery Global, home to CNN, HGTV and other legacy television assets.
On Tuesday, Warner Bros rejected Paramount’s latest hostile bid but stopped short of closing the door. The rival studio had informally floated a $31-a-share proposal, prompting the board to re-engage while reaffirming its backing for the Netflix transaction.
“Netflix still looks to be in the driving seat, but that can quickly shift,” said Hargreaves Lansdown senior equity analyst Matt Britzman. “Price will likely be decisive. Funding certainty and regulatory risk matter, but at a high enough number they become secondary.”
He added that the bids are not directly comparable, with Netflix leaving behind the traditional network business: a trade-off the board and shareholders must ultimately price.
Paramount said it would press ahead with its tender offer, oppose what it called an “inferior” Netflix deal and push to nominate directors at Warner’s upcoming annual meeting. Under the merger agreement, Netflix is entitled to match any improved bid.
In a letter to Paramount’s board, Warner Bros chairman Samuel DiPiazza Jr and chief executive David Zaslav said the company remained “fully committed” to the Netflix transaction.
Behind the scenes, board-level concerns have tilted the balance. Eisner Advisory Group partner Paren Knadjian, said questions over financing structure, timing and regulatory approval continued to weigh on Paramount’s proposal, regardless of headline valuation.
Paramount has attempted to bridge the gap by offering Warner shareholders additional cash for every quarter the deal fails to close after this year, and by agreeing to cover the $2.8 billion break fee payable to Netflix if Warner walks away. The board, however, said key issues remain unresolved, including exposure to a potential $1.5 billion junior lien financing fee, execution risk if debt funding collapses, and whether equity backing led by Larry Ellison is fully committed.






