Connect with us

Hollywood

Benedict Cumberbatch to play Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’

Published

on

MUMBAI: After months of speculations, the Sherlock famed Benedict Cumberbatch is the final choice for the titular role in Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange, according to media reports.

 

Slated for release on 8 July 2016, the feature will be directed by Scott Derrickson. Cumberbatch will play Dr Stephen Strange, a former neurosurgeon who, after losing the use of his hands, turns to the mystic arts and the occult. He will serve as the Sorcerer Supreme — the primary protector of Earth against magical and mystical threats.

Advertisement

 

Doctor Strange made his first appearance in the Marvel Universe in 1963, and was first created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in the pages of Strange Tales No 110. He has also been a longtime member of superhero teams like Avengers, and wielded a significant influence as a member of the Illuminati, which included the likes of Professor X, Mister Fantastic, and Iron Man.

 

Advertisement

For the past few months, some of big Hollywood names have been linked to the role including Joaquin Phoenix, Ryan Gosling, Jared Leto, Tom Hardy, Justin Theroux, Ethan Hawke and Keanu Reeves.

 

Marvel also plans to release the third Captain America movie along with the feature.

Advertisement

 

In addition to his well-received ‘Sherlock’ series, for which he won an Emmy this year, he’s earned a great deal of Oscar buzz for his performance as cyberpioneer Alan Turing for The Imitation Game.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hollywood

Warner Bros rejects Paramount’s latest bid, gives seven-day deadline for revised offer

Studio seeks bid above $31 a share while backing Netflix merger

Published

on

NEW YORK: Warner Bros Discovery has rejected Paramount Skydance’s latest hostile bid of $30 a share but granted the suitor seven days to submit a “best and final” offer, even as it reiterated its support for a merger with Netflix.

In a letter sent on Tuesday, Warner Bros said Paramount had informally floated a higher price of $31 a share, but the board did not consider the proposal reasonably likely to result in a superior transaction to its existing Netflix deal.

Paramount has until February 23 to improve its offer. Under the merger agreement, Netflix is entitled to match any competing bid, Warner Bros said.

Advertisement

“Our board has not determined that your proposal is reasonably likely to be superior to the Netflix merger,” chairman Samuel DiPiazza Jr and chief executive David Zaslav wrote to the Paramount board. “We remain fully committed to our transaction with Netflix.”

Paramount’s offer values Warner Bros at $108.4 billion, while Netflix has agreed to pay $27.75 a share, valuing Warner Bros’ studio and streaming assets at $82.7 billion. Warner Bros plans to spin off its Discovery Global cable networks: including CNN, TLC, Food Network and HGTV, into a separate listed company ahead of the merger vote scheduled for 20 March. 

Warner Bros said it expects any acceptable Paramount bid to exceed $31 a share, noting that a Paramount adviser had suggested higher pricing was possible if talks reopened.

Advertisement

Shares of Paramount rose 6 per cent, while Warner Bros Discovery gained 2.3 per cent. Netflix shares fell 1.4 per cent.

The move marks a shift after months of resistance. Paramount has said Warner Bros previously failed to engage meaningfully on six approaches before announcing its Netflix deal in December. A revised Paramount proposal in January, backed by a $40 billion personal equity guarantee from Larry Ellison, father of Paramount chief executive David Ellison, was also rejected.

Warner Bros now faces growing pressure from activist investor Ancora Holdings, who opposes the Netflix transaction. Paramount has separately sought board representation, with Pentwater Capital backing its bid.

Advertisement

The deal is expected to face regulatory scrutiny over competition concerns, with Paramount and Netflix engaging with authorities including the US Department of Justice.

Continue Reading

Advertisement News18
Advertisement All three Media
Advertisement Whtasapp
Advertisement Year Enders

Copyright © 2026 Indian Television Dot Com PVT LTD