Hollywood
Hugh Grant returns to romcom with ‘The Rewrite’
MUMBAI: After a gap of five years, Hugh Grant is making a return to romantic comedies with The Rewrite.
Written and directed by Marc Lawrence, the movie also stars Marisa Tomei, Allison Janney, JK Simmons and Chris Elliott.
In the new comedy, the British actor plays a screenwriter whose Hollywood career peaked in late 80s. Now divorced and broke, he reluctantly accepts a teaching job at an American university.
Marisa Tomei co-stars as one of his students (Holly), who isn’t impressed by the level of commitment that the professor is putting forth. Holly is a single mother who’s taking classes to earn her degree. Meanwhile, Keith gets himself caught in a web of lies involving Matt Damon and Ryan Gosling.
This is Lawrence’s fourth collaboration with Grant after Did You Hear about the Morgans?, Music and Lyrics, and Two Weeks Notice.
The Rewrite is Grant’s first romcom since 2009’s Did You Hear About the Morgans? In the meantime, Grant voiced The Pirate Captain in Aardman’s high-seas stop-motion adventure The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!, and also appeared in the film adaptation of David Mitchell’s Cloud Atlas in a variety of roles including a nuclear power plant boss, an elderly care home escapee, and a vicious futuristic cannibal tribesman.
The movie is slated to hit theaters on 8 October in the UK, but no US release date has been announced yet.
Hollywood
Warner Bros rejects Paramount’s latest bid, gives seven-day deadline for revised offer
Studio seeks bid above $31 a share while backing Netflix merger
NEW YORK: Warner Bros Discovery has rejected Paramount Skydance’s latest hostile bid of $30 a share but granted the suitor seven days to submit a “best and final” offer, even as it reiterated its support for a merger with Netflix.
In a letter sent on Tuesday, Warner Bros said Paramount had informally floated a higher price of $31 a share, but the board did not consider the proposal reasonably likely to result in a superior transaction to its existing Netflix deal.
Paramount has until February 23 to improve its offer. Under the merger agreement, Netflix is entitled to match any competing bid, Warner Bros said.
“Our board has not determined that your proposal is reasonably likely to be superior to the Netflix merger,” chairman Samuel DiPiazza Jr and chief executive David Zaslav wrote to the Paramount board. “We remain fully committed to our transaction with Netflix.”
Paramount’s offer values Warner Bros at $108.4 billion, while Netflix has agreed to pay $27.75 a share, valuing Warner Bros’ studio and streaming assets at $82.7 billion. Warner Bros plans to spin off its Discovery Global cable networks: including CNN, TLC, Food Network and HGTV, into a separate listed company ahead of the merger vote scheduled for 20 March.
Warner Bros said it expects any acceptable Paramount bid to exceed $31 a share, noting that a Paramount adviser had suggested higher pricing was possible if talks reopened.
Shares of Paramount rose 6 per cent, while Warner Bros Discovery gained 2.3 per cent. Netflix shares fell 1.4 per cent.
The move marks a shift after months of resistance. Paramount has said Warner Bros previously failed to engage meaningfully on six approaches before announcing its Netflix deal in December. A revised Paramount proposal in January, backed by a $40 billion personal equity guarantee from Larry Ellison, father of Paramount chief executive David Ellison, was also rejected.
Warner Bros now faces growing pressure from activist investor Ancora Holdings, who opposes the Netflix transaction. Paramount has separately sought board representation, with Pentwater Capital backing its bid.
The deal is expected to face regulatory scrutiny over competition concerns, with Paramount and Netflix engaging with authorities including the US Department of Justice.






