Hollywood
Asha Bhosle receives Lifetime Achievement at DIFF
MUMBAI: At the gala opening ceremony of the prestigious Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF) held at the famous Madinat Theatre in Madinat Jumeirah Hotel Dubai, Asha Bhosle received the lifetime achievement award for her outstanding contribution to music through hands of HH Sheikh Mansour Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Makhtoom.
Bhosle has been earlier honoured as the ‘most recorded artist in music history’ by the Guinness Book of World Records, and also awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award (2000) and the Padma Vibhushan (2008) from the Indian government.
Adding another award to her list of accolades, Bhosle said, “I am delighted to receive this Lifetime Achievement Award from Dubai International Film Festival in Dubai – a place with long historic ties to my country.”
In her acceptance speech, Bhosle, who also made her acting debut at the age of 80 in the 2013 film ‘Mai’, further added, “People while accepting awards thank their family, friends, pets, etc but I wish to here only thank my audience and my stars without which I would have never come so far in life.”
On the popular demand by the audience, she crooned impromptu few lines of her popular “dil chiz kya hai aap meri jaan lijiye” and the evergreen classic “O mere sona re sona re sona” bringing the 3000 strong crowd at the Madinat Theatre in Jumeirah to standing ovation.
DIFF Chairman Abdulhamid Juma said, “Asha Bhosle is a stalwart of the Indian music industry and we are proud to honour her with this DIFF Lifetime Achievement Award. Her work has touched almost every corner of the world such a legend we heartily applause in DIFF.”
Hollywood
Paramount’s US antitrust waiting period on WBD bid expires
DOJ review continues as rival Netflix bid clouds the deal’s future
LOS ANGELES: Paramount said on Friday that the US antitrust waiting period for its $108.4 billion all-cash bid for Warner Bros Discovery expired on 19 February, clearing an early procedural hurdle in its attempt to buy the owner of HBO Max.
The expiry of the 10-day waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act means there is no statutory bar in the United States to closing the proposed transaction. It does not, however, bring regulatory scrutiny to an end.
The US Department of Justice can continue investigating the deal, seek additional information and still sue to block it before completion. In 2023, the department moved to stop JetBlue’s proposed acquisition of Spirit Airlines months after the waiting period had lapsed.
Complicating matters further, Paramount does not yet have a definitive agreement with Warner Bros Discovery. The studio group has separately entered into a deal with Netflix, which has offered $27.75 per share, valuing the studios and streaming assets at $82.7 billion.
“Paramount Skydance continues to mislead stockholders and distract from the facts,” said Netflix chief legal officer David Hyman. “They have not secured the approvals needed to close and they are a long way from doing so.”
Any Netflix-Warner Bros Discovery tie-up would itself face intense scrutiny from US and European competition authorities. These authorities would examine whether combining Netflix’s global streaming scale with Warner Bros Discovery’s century-old studio assets could curb competition or narrow consumer choice.






